Notes from a record written in 1949 by Thelma Gabrielson
Settlement of this area began in the 1850's. Early settlers were William Kissinger whose claim was in Section 27. In 1860 Abel Coffin and his sons, Frank and George, Mrs. Merriam and Mrs. Robert Barts settled in Section 33 in the heart of what is now Lyndale. They were Quakers. Mr. Fletcher Ingerson came in 1865. He had two daughters, Miss Martha Ingerson and Mrs. Jasper Jadwin who resided many years in the original home. Mr. Ingerson came from Pennsylvania after serving in the Civil War.
In the 1870's and early 1880's the Swedish immigration to this district began. Peter Berg came in 1875 and John P. Gabrielson in 1881. Most of the following had also come from Sweden — P. W. Johnson, Peter Danielson, Nils Anderson, Aaron Peterson, C. Gustafson, Eric Johnson, Nils Hanson, Andrew Lindberg, J. C. Johnson, W. Blacketer, John Bergstrom and A. R. Chaffee. At about this time a Mr. Hoglund built onto his log cabin and opened the first general store. Once a week he would haul the mail from Maple Plain and so a post office was established, called Hog Boo, which in Swedish meant "a little town on the hill." In 1890 the name was changed to Lyndale. There was an Indian trail through the Gustafson farm and relics such as arrowheads, Indian pipes etc., were found, but most of the Indians seemed to have left following the treaty of 1851. Frank Coffin built a store which was later managed by Mr. Harlan Noreen. Mr. Walstien was the blacksmith. In 1894 a creamery was organized by John Roder, Frank Coffin and Fletcher Ingerson who was first president of the Lyndale Creamery. Three big separators were run by steam. Butter was made here and hauled into Minneapolis for sale. The area was principally known for general farming and dairying.
In the early 1880's the first school was held in a log house. The school term was four months during the summer. Later, the pupils attended schools called Armstrong, Lee or Cope-land, whichever was nearer their homes. In 1892, District No. 126 was formed and a school house was built costing $585. The first teacher was Maggie Ingerson who was paid $30 per month. Books were bought by the parents. School was not compulsory and the children attended as long as they or the parents wished.
In 1914 a railroad called the Luce Line was built from Minneapolis to Hutchinson. The station was built about a mile from Old Lyndale. The train carried freight and one passenger coach. Almost overnight the new settlement near the station of New Lyndale, grew up. There was a post office in the Carsten store, a bank, machine shop, lumber yard, hardware store, blacksmith shop, feed mill, tabernacle and garage were built. Gradually these have disappeared and today a store, tavern and garage remain, so Old Lyndale continues as the center of this farming community.
Occasionally, travelling preachers would be in this area and meetings would be held in the homes or the schoolhouse. Soon the people felt the need of a church of their faith. Through the efforts of Mrs. P. M. Johnson, who walked about three miles to the Gotalund Swedish Lutheran Church near Maple Plain to induce the pastor to come to Lyndale, services were then held in the school. On January 21, 1898, the Lyndale Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized at the John Gabrielson home. The total communicant members and their children was 97. Reverend P. E. Berg of Watertown was the first pastor with a salary of $75 a year. Services were held every other Sunday afternoon. The first deacons were John Gabrielson, Peter Hofstedt and Nils Hanson. The first trustees were Nils Anderson, Peter Danielson and A. Lindberg. Four hundred dollars was borrowed for the building fund and the labor was done by the men and boys of the congregation. In May, 1899 the church was finished and dedicated. The Ladies Aid was organized in 1898, and the Luther League in 1909.