Charles J. Anderson and wife, grandparents of Sigfred Anderson and Mrs. Dorothy McCulley came from Red Wing in 1893 and settled in Maple Plain. Charles purchased land and a house where the present post office and Harold's cafe now stand. They lived on the corner and their son, Fred Anderson had the first barber shop in Maple Plain in a room in the same house. Business was not brisk and the shop was only open on weekends. Later Christine Pederson, now Mrs. Louis Larson of Hopkins had a dress shop in this home. Behind the house was a slaughter house, run part time. Later the family settled on Lake Independence on property now owned by a great grandson, Robert Don Anderson.
Mrs. Charles Anderson was a sister of Dr. Norilius, the founder of the Augusta Lutheran Church of America. One of these churches was at Vasa, Minnesota, where Pastor Ralph Belin, former pastor of Christ Lutheran Church now preaches and resides with his family.
In the late 1880's Alfred Anderson came from Red Wing and settled where the Gustafsons now live on the Sunny Valley farm. Later they moved to the farm now known as the Ingold farm, where they built a home mostly from lumber sawed from their own trees. One son Sigfred, still residing in Maple Plain built an elevator and coal yard. His first employee was Levi Carlson. The same elevator with a later addition is the present Farmers elevator. They built a home and lived for several years where Harold Heinzen now lives. Later Sigfred and family ran the Shady Beach resort on Lake Sarah for eleven years and still later went into the electrical business with his sons. In 1933 he built the building in Maple Plain now housing the Sigfred Anderson and Sons Electrical Company. This was the former site of the post office which was moved onto Amanda Johnson's property and became the Maple Plain Library. It is now used by the Boy Scouts and American Legion.