In 1870 School District No. 102 purchased from Thomas Astrope (Astrup) 1/4 acre of land for the sum of $10. A school house was built, but about twenty-two years later this building was moved off the property and the present building was erected. It has since been moved onto a foundation and a small addition put on the front. Also one and a half acres more land has been purchased.
J.H. McGary served as Clerk of the district for many years, and the school was known as the McGary School.
In 1930, the teacher, Mrs. S. Thomas, and the school children bought evergreen seedlings and planted them along the north border of the school yard. These trees grew rapidly, and the school became know as "The Evergreen Grove School". It is located on Hennepin County Road 11.
Because of its proximity to the Twin Cities, this school has been host to distinguished foreign visitors who wish to visit a one-room school.
In the fall of 1956, a group of over forty members of the French Parliament, including former Minister of Education under Menees France, visited the school. They could not speak English, but with the aid of their three interpreters carried on a conversation with the teacher, Mrs. Donald Willis, and the children.
The first school was held in one room of a vacant house on the Thomas Astrope farm and Mrs. Anna McKee taught at that time. When the first school house was built Rhonda Stewart was the teacher. Later Mrs. Stella Chance, wife of a Delano doctor, taught there.
In 1964 the school consolidated with the Delano district. The school building has now been made available for community gatherings, 4-H Clubs and special events.