In 1857 two brothers, who were Quakers, John S. and Needham Perkins, each built a frame house on the south shore of the lake. These were the first two frame houses in this area. They platted a portion of their land into a village known as Perkinsville. Part of it was in Medina township. Needham Perkins built a saw mill, a country store and a blacksmith shop. There was also a brick kiln. The clay contained too much limestone so brick making was discontinued. Bricks were found about the place which was later the home of Alfred Sandeen.
In 1859 Irvin Shrewsbury and John Perkins ran for the first state legislature. Shrewsbury, a Republican, was elected. Both men were active in the growth of Maple Plain. Perkins moved the store he had in Perkinsville to Maple Plain, but sold it in 1870 to G. W. Smith.