The first settler arrived in Independence Township in the fall of 1854. Job Moffitt and son John came by covered wagon drawn by ox team to St. Anthony from Indiana where he learned through James Maxwell of water power on Pioneer Creek. They traveled over the O. G. Garrison road to Wayzata and were obliged to open their own road following an Indian trail to Long Lake, and on to the southeastern corner of Independence. Turning northwesterly with the trail, they came to Pioneer Creek, where they settled on Section 22, now known as the Glen Hillstrom farm. Thus they became the first settlers of the township. Pioneer Creek, also known as Moffit's Creek, was in the Big Woods 25 miles west of Minneapolis. After building a log house, Job returned to Indiana. The following spring he returned with his wife Anna, two sons and a daughter Lydia Ann. During his absence his son John stayed on the premises. Mrs. Anna Moffitt was the first white woman in Independence. In 1856 Lydia Ann Moffitt married Kelsey Hinman, who was one of the party who discovered Lake Independence and Pioneer Creek, July 4, 1854.
There was an Indian Camp in 1856 and 1857 on the south side of Pioneer Creek opposite the Job Moffitt cabin. During the winter the Indians killed over two hundred deer in the vicinity during their circle drives, trying to discourage white people from settling in this area.
At one time Job Moffitt had a small store on Pioneer Creek. The family moved away years ago. There is no record of where they located.