George W. Hoisington came from Ohio and settled in Armstrong in 1854. He served in the Civil War but spent many years here until his death in 1898. His brother, Earl, came to Armstrong in 1855, from Ohio by railroad and then up the River to St. Paul and then to St. Anthony where he was welcomed by an old-time neighbor, Amos Clark. Mr. Clark gave him work getting out timbers for the first suspension bridge at the Falls of St. Anthony. There was a large band of Winnebago Indians encamped near by. The Indians were being moved to their new reservation in Nebraska. George worked on this timber project until June when he came to Hennepin County and preempted a claim in the Big Woods. He camped in the woods overnight, building a fire to roast a partridge for his supper. His claim was on the Watertown road in Independence. Before his wife arrived he had a cabin built, which was covered with poles and hay. A later cabin, somewhat larger, was covered with shakes. The Hoisingtons were noted for their musical ability and were active in the affairs of the township. He was buried from the Maple Plain Presbyterian Church in 1916, at the age of 91 years. His body was brought here from Portland, Oregon by his daughter Mrs. Mary Bradford with whom he lived the last six years of his life, following the death of his wife.