Located on the corner of Maple Avenue and Main Street East.
Only open during special events.
Maple Plain Historical Museum Committee
Jo Ann Ree
PO Box 324
Maple Plain, MN 55359
The restored building (1987) is located on the corner of Maple Avenue and Main Street East in Maple Plain. It became the Maple Plain Library in 1922. It was given a home in a building that was formerly used as the post office.
The library was purchased by the village in 1937 for $100 and moved from Main Street to around the corner in back of the Presbyterian Church. This lot belonged to Miss Amanda Johnson and was adjacent to her house. The village paid $100 for the use of the land.
The first librarian was Emma Nelson and she served for only a few months. The first permanent librarian was Amanda Johnson, whose property was where the library was located. Miss Johnson was the librarian from 1923-1959 (36 years). She had the distinction of having served as the librarian for the longest period of time.
The Maple Plain Historical Library and Museum is only open during special events and is maintained by the Maple Plain Historical Museum Committee, a group of community volunteers.