In 1940, Dr. Fred Gehrman opened a veterinary clinic in Maple Plain. This was a branch of his Oak Knoll animal hospital. Between 1948 and 1956, the veterinary doctors serving this clinic were Doctors Brody, Johnson, Wilkinson and Watt.
The University of Minnesota bought the practice and building from Dr. Gehrman in 1956, and built the larger building in 1960. In 1956, the clinic was headed by Dr. Don Johnson, then joined by Dr. Stan Held in 1958. Dr. LaRue Johnson joined the clinic in 1962, and became its head in 1967 when Dr. Don Johnson moved to Missouri. Dr. Marlin Baker joined the clinic in 1967 as Dr. Johnson's associate.
The clinic serves a two-fold purpose, the training of senior veterinary students as well as being an ambulatory clinic and going to the farms in this area to care for large farm animals.