The town of Independence was organized in 1858. The first town meeting was held May 11 at the home of J. Wilson. The meeting was called by Richard McGary. Robert P. Stinson was chosen moderator and William C. Hazelton, clerk. The total number of votes cast was eighteen and the following officers chosen: Supervisors — Irvin Shrewsbury, Daniel Styner and Ebenezer Brandon; Clerk — Norman Shook; Assessor — William Hazelton; Collector — N. E. McGary; Justices of the Peace — Robert P. Stinson and Henry Swingler; Constables — Wesley Hall and Earl Hoisington; Overseer of Highways — John C. Williams. The first meeting of the board was May 19 at which time it was ordered that 160 acres be assessed at five hundred dollars and that a tax of thirty cents per one hundred be levied upon such land for roads. It was also ordered that each man between the ages of twenty-one and fifty should perform two days work as directed by the road overseer. At a meeting of the board to audit accounts March 29, 1850, the orders audited amounted to $198.59, which represented the town expenses for the first year.
In the early spring of 1855 a road had been cut from Shakopee to a town site at the fork of the Crow River called Greenwood [later Greenfield]. John R. McCary settled in Section 15 where Miss Owen bought her farm many years later. John Williams settled near where Elden Andersen
ives on Section 10. Irvin Shrewsbury staked his claim in Section 26, the west 160 acres of the old Turner farm. He was the grandfather of Sadie Quaas, Louise Conover and Roy Styner. Their mother, Ann, was Irvin Shrewsbury's daughter. She married O. Styner, son of Joshua Styner. Later Andrew and Swan Peterson settled on Section 27. Swan was the father of Jennie Noreen and Ever Peterson. Allan Craves located north of Lake Sarah. John Moffitt, son of Jacob Moffitt, moved to Greenwood. Samuel Moore, Timothy O'Lery and G. R. Carlson came in 1858. In 1860 James Bradford, grandfather of Percy Bradford, settled on Section 34 and Abel Coffin in Old Lyndale, since the Charles Gabrielson place. George and Frank Coffin were sons of Abel. Frank managed the Lyndale Creamery for many years.