In 1909 Carl F Lund, originally from Sweden, set up a harness making and shoe repair shop. His daughters, still residing in Maple Plain, are Mrs. Laura Anderson and Mrs. Minnie Chenoweth The shop was across from the Conover store near the present railroad bridge. Later he moved into a new building, which he used until his death in 1920 It is now the Farness home across from the Anderson electric shop.
The first drayman was Orel Ditty and later Rufus Bryant who also farmed but made deliveries to the various businesses with wagon and a team of horses.
John Hillstrom had a feed store on the corner across from the Presbyterian church. John Offerman was a livestock buyer. He also had a meat market where the laundromat now stands.
In 1947 a cafe on highway 12 in Maple Plain was purchased from Maynard Berry by Arthur and Gladys Johnson and operated as a restaurant until 1959, when it was rebuilt as a motel to be used with the motel which had been built in 1952, on the west end of the property, making a total of seven units. Other restaurants in Maple Plain are Molly's Chuck Wagon, purchased from Ralph Painter and Buelows on main street. The first bakery and restaurant was as run by the Durants near the railroad tracks near the present Lundsten lumber yard. Later Durants moved to the corner where the Andrew Swanson filling station is.
McCormicks had a grocery store next to the old bank building. Later this was turned into a trading store for pianos, phonographs and miscellaneous articles. Sigfred Anderson traded a team of horses and a wagon for a phonograph. Later Harry Beer purchased this property for a hardware store. At one time Mrs. Flemming had a dress shop upstairs over the McCormick grocery and Mrs. Dora Stinson ran a millinery shop on the first floor.