David Cox came to Maple Plain in the 1860's. He was married to Lucinda Fogleman. He farmed south of Maple Plain, a strip stretching from what is now County Road 19, west to County Road 83, south of the old Rufus Bryant farm to what is now owned by Leslie Glomboski. At first it was all timber and produced lots of maple sugar and syrup. They had two children, Charles and Nellie. Charles was born in Maple Plain, Dec. 9, 1866. He had a hotel and livery business which he opened in 1903 and operated for twenty-five years. The hotel was located on County Road 19 near the R.R. crossing. The livery barn was later used as a feed mill by Levi Carlson for many years. Then it was moved to Levi's place on the west side of Maple Plain where he continued to grind grain and sell feed until 1956 when the building was torn down.
Charles Cox passed away in 1958, and his wife, Frances, in 1943. Mr. Cox was 91 years of age, and survived by two sons, William of Wayzata and Melvin of Farmington, and one daughter, Mrs. Esther Stinson of Maple Plain. He had lived his whole life in this area.