The first religious meeting in Independence was held by Rev, J. J. Camp, Methodist Episcopal minister. A Methodist society was organized in the home of Irvin Shrewsbury in 1855. Local preachers were Jacob Batdorf, Irvin Shrewsbury, J. J. Terwill and Abraham Gross. Services were held in the Armstrong schoolhouse until the Methodist Church was built in Armstrong in 1892, and dedicated in June of that year. Later it burned down. It was rebuilt and in recent years was sold to the English Lutheran Church in Long Lake.
The next church to be organized was the Advent Christian Church. In 1867 Dr. 0. R. Fassett and Mrs. L. E. Fassett arrived in Minneapolis and shortly thereafter were persuaded by friends to hold a few meetings at the Armstrong school house. A church society was organized and a church building was erected near Lake Sarah, nearly opposite the home of the Dunwoodys. The Dunwoody house was originally the Dr. Fassett home. The Armstrong Advent Christian Church was organized at the home of Sam Briley, Dec. 8, 1891. The Church was built in 1892. Elder J. Nelson Potter was the first pastor and organizer of the Armstrong work. The first officers were as follows: Trustees — Sam Briley, G. Johnson and H. L. Bowen, Deacons — Chas. Nelson and W. C. Batdorf, Secretary and Treasurer — W. C. Batdorf.
First Presbyterian Church of Independence was organized June 4, 1871, by the Rev. Charles Thayer. In 1872-73 a substantial frame building, 26 by 40 feet, was built in Maple Plain, well finished on the inside. Twice since, the church has been remodeled with additions and is in use at the present time. The first elders were George W. Smith and Charles W. Ingerson. The first year there were twelve charter members, followed soon by seven more. They were Anthony Yerger, George W. Smith, Harriet Smith, John B. Perkins, Deborah D. Perkins, Elizabeth Bradford, Emeline P. Ingerson, Bethia H. Barnes, Barbara Walker, Mary Fogleman, Eliza Ann Budd, Rachel P. Perkins, Jonathan B. Walker, Charles W. Ingerson, Hiram O. Lily, Mary 0. Wapon, Ashbel Ingerson, Ellenor Yerger, and Sarah Wapon. During most of the years from 1890-1953 Maple Plain shared a pastor with the Presbyterian churches in Long Lake and Crystal Bay. The manse was next to the church in Maple Plain, but this is now the Christian Education Building. A new manse was built in 1961 north of Maple Plain.
Gotalund Swedish Church (now Christ Lutheran) was organized in the home of Jonas Moline, by Rev. Jonas Aim, on Dec. 27, 1875. Services were held in the Moline log house until the church was built, in 1879. At this time there were twenty-three adult members. The church was 26 by 22 ft. wide. An acre of land was donated by Jonas Moline. The cost was $194.92. In 1886 the organ was purchased. In 1890-91 two additions were built on. In 1920 a parsonage was acquired.
The charter members of the first Lutheran Church were: Mr. and Mrs. Jonas Moline, J. N. Moline, Mr. and Mrs. Carl Ekstrom, Peter Hogstedt, Mr. and Mrs. John Stromberg, Mr. and Mrs. N. S. Andersen, Mr. and Mrs. John Hillstrom, Mr. and Mrs. John Noreen, Mr. and Mrs. A. Noreen, Mr. and Mrs. John Bergstrom, Carl Laurell, Mr. and Mrs. E. Bergman and Mr. and Mrs. Ole Nelson,
Up to World War I, the services were in Swedish, gradually replaced by English. In January of 1925 it was decided to build in Maple Plain. The corner stone of the new church was laid that same year. The name was changed to Christ Lutheran Church and the first meeting there was held on October 27, 1926. Through the years building improvements have been made. In 1953 the narthex addition was completed and in 1959 a new parsonage was built and dedicated.
Before 1900, a small group of Seventh-day Adventists in the Maple Plain vicinity were meeting in the homes of believers. Around 1900 there were about 30 members and so they met in the hall in Maple Plain.
In 1904 the Maplewood Academy was established near Maple Plain and the members were then able to meet in the academy chapel for their services. Dr. C. J. Martinson, of the Martinson Clinic, Wayzata, became a student there in 1906 and was the first graduate from the academy.
In 1926 the Maplewood Academy was moved to Hutchinson, Minn. Then the congregation arranged to meet in the First Day Adventist Church (Armstrong) of Maple Plain.
On June 3, 1944 the local membership was officially organized into the Maple Plain
Seventh-Day Adventist Church with the president of the Minnesota Conference of Seventh-Day Adventists, Elder C. V. Anderson, officiating.
The present brick church building was begun in 1944 and was dedicated on August 3, 1946, with 34 charter members. A new addition has been completed for Sabbath and elementary school use.
A group of Christians, feeling the need for an inter-denominational church, met together in 1932. The old Advent Church, not being in use at that time, was made available to them. Mr. Adrian Laurintzen volunteered to preach each Sunday to help get the church started. The congregation called Rev. Marvin Thompson as their first full time pastor in 1935. The congregation then became known as the Armstrong Community Church.
In 1941, under the leadership of Rev. Roy Stenlund, then pastor, a parsonage was purchased in Maple Plain. Also in that same year the congregation formed as a corporate body under the laws of the State of Minnesota and they officially adopted the name Armstrong Community Church.
In 1949 the congregation, under the leadership of their pastor Rev. Ambrose Collins, voted to build a new church in Maple Plain. A portion of the Nelson property was donated by Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Hedin in memory of Mr. F. 0. Nelson. The present church building was erected and the congregation moved into and dedicated their new building in 1950. Later that year the name of Armstrong Community Church was changed to Maple Plain Community Church.
In 1966 the old parsonage was sold and a house was purchased and moved in from Osseo. The new parsonage is located on the west end of the church property and was occupied in December, 1966.