The Centennial of the first post office here, was June 38th, 1956, in commemoration of the establishing of the Shrewsbury post office in 1856. Postmasters during this period were Irvin Shrewsbury, C. W. Hinman, S. Yokley, Solomon Yokley, George W. Smith, Harriet A. Smith, Julius Hardt, Robert M. Mills, Alfred Haskel, and L. B. Setzler. In 1907 local carriers under R.F.D. were Abner Powers, Charles Ragland and Arthur Shrewsbury. Later carriers out of Maple Plain were Alonzo Beal, William Ditty, Oscar Eriandson, Laurence Setzler, Claude Budd, James Yoder, Ray Anderson, Kee Peterson and Robert Carlson. The present postmaster is Glenn Styner. Robert Carlson moved to Akeley and Joseph Malerich took over Route one in 1968.
In 1967 the Maple Plain post office became first class due to the increase in population and new businesses.
The Lundsten lumber yard, Henry Pearson's confectionery and grocery store, Charles Lund's harness and shoemaker shop, the train depot as well as the elevator were originally located west of Conover's store. The railroad had gone through in 1868-69, but the first cut was made in 1904. This forced the businesses to move east. A deeper and wider cut was made in 1918 to accommodate two tracks and a side-track. The elevator was moved to its present location. It was bought by the Co-operative Farmers group who still own it. The buildings have been improved and enlarged several times.
Just east of the Farmer's elevator was the stock yards — three pens and two chutes, one for loading and one for unloading onto the trains. The Great Northern Railway owned it. Ever Peterson managed it for the local cattlemen, then Orlando Styner followed by Herman Noreen. As the roads improved, shipping by truck from the farms directly to the stock yards in South St. Paul replaced shipping by rail, and the stock yard was removed. Later the Skelly Gas plant was installed where the stock yard had been.
Another feed mill across County road 19 from the Great Northern depot was started in 1927 by Levi Carlson. It was made from Charles Cox's Star Hotel livery barn. Later the building- was moved to the Carlson property on W. Main St. There he sold coal and staple groceries as well as grinding feed.
The council gave the Minneapolis General Electric Co. permission to supply power to the village in 1916. Two street lights were installed in 1930. In 1941 Northern States Power began to supply power to the village.