The Maple Plain Branch of the Hennepin County Library began in 1922 with a committee of civic-minded residents of the village:Mrs. E. A. Conover, Mrs. H. V. Miller, and Mrs. Henry Oliver. A branch library was arranged with Miss Gratia Countryman, director of the Hennepin County Library system. Other locations were considered, but the newly vacated village post office building on Main Street was chosen. The post office had moved next door into Jim Butterfield's hardware store, which was later replaced by Sig Andersen's electric shop.
The first permanent librarian was Miss Amanda Johnson, who served from 1923 until 1959. The small library building was purchased by the village in 1937 for $100.00 from Miss Mary Richards and Sig Anderson, and was moved, full of books, around the corner just back of the Presbyterian Church. The lot it was placed on belonged to Miss Johnson, and adjoined her house. The village paid her $10.00 per year for the use of the land.
The building was remodeled and improved; it was heated first with a wood buring stove, then with coal, and then with an oil burning "parlor furnace." There was never plumbing in the old building. Miss Johnson fell and broke her hip in 1959, and was unable to continue in the library, so Mrs. Pearl Gothman became the librarian. She resigned in 1963 upon the death of her husband Ambrose, and Mrs. Clayton Bryant replaced her. The library was moved in 1964 into the old State Bank building on Main Street after the bank had moved into its new quarters on Highway 12. The village sold the old library building to the Scouts for $1.00, and they use it for a meeting-place.
The township of Independence and the village share the rental of the building which is now owned by Mr. and Mrs. C. Paul Lindholm. The library now houses about 5,000 volumes, and is open six days a week.
The Friends of the Library organization was formed in 1965. This is a loosely organized group of people interested in promoting the library and its services. Its first president was Mrs. L. E. Christenson, followed by Mrs. Victor Berthene; the president currently is Mrs. Wesley Bendickson. Membership is $1.00 per year, and there are about 50 members.