In 1925 Ernest Pearson and Albert Thompson bought out James Rice's milk route. Trucks were housed in a large garage on the west end of town. Here the first Maple Plain volunteer fire department was organized January 8, 1931, and continued to meet until the village hall was built in 1956 and occupied in 1957. The charter members were:
Albert Thompson, Chief
L. B. Setzler
H. V. Miller
Hilton Beer Jr.
The first fire truck, a Pierce Arrow, was purchased by the village from Mound about 1930 for two hundred dollars. There were about a dozen volunteers and Albert Thompson was fire chief. He built a Federal truck, body, tank and pump for less than a hundred dollars. Recently it was sold and is on display at Brookdale, in Brooklyn Center. Later modern trucks have been housed in a new fire barn, next to the village hall. City water came into Maple Plain in 1940. About that time, the farmers in the nearby area were in need of fire protection and subscribed money toward the buying of a new truck. Following the first fire chief, Albert Thompson, were Niels Andersen, Leslie Mills, Rollin Maski, Julius Hardt, Emerson Dressel, Maynard Berry, Heimer Andersen, and Neil Palmer, who is the present fire chief with thirty volunteer members. They have six pieces of modern fire fighting equipment, two pumpers, two tankers, a grass fire truck and Ford Vanetti rescue truck.